View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 AM
TankerDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by drifterf16 View Post
I’m not sure if the fighter background helps or hurts in the vetting process post interview based on my aircraft flying background. Folks in my class had similar timing... some non-fighter military, mil/121 mix and some with no military. That said, others took a while because they told us AA has to check back on every flying job by law. It’s obvious many pilots who’ve come up through the civilian world end up in many different jobs trying to build experience. For me, I’d been in the military for almost 28 years so one call verified all employment. I heard the HR lady talking to one applicant asking, “Can you try to track down a phone number or something for these older jobs? I know some may not even still be in business but we’re required by law to try”.
No, I don't think it does much for you post-interview, but my point was that being a fighter pilot generally gets you an interview quicker. Your example supports my theory. You submitted an app 28 December and got an interview invite barely 2 months later. That's pretty phenomenal considering there's been guys with heavy military backround with 4,000+ hours (IP/EP, safety officers, multiple recommendations by AA pilots, multiple career fairs, etc) that wait 8, 10, 12 months, if not upwards of two years to get an interview. It's just my observation from what I've seen in the forums and RST. They just seem to like fighter pilots. Afterall, they have a box to check in the demographics section that specifically asks, "Are you now or have you ever been a Fighter Pilot?". It's definitely there to give you extra points. Whatever you did, you did something right!

Interesting about the employment verification. I've got probably over a dozen squadron-mates who have gotten hired by one of (or several) of the Big 3 companies, to include AA and our commander has never been called by any of them to verify their employment in order to land the video interview. Are you talking post interview backround check?

That being said, those of you military guys who have bounced around from assignment to assignment on AD and who are in the ANG/AFRC now, what contact info did you put for your former assignments if your supervisor has moved on to bigger and better things? I guess your current unit can verify your previous assignments through MilPDS.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by TankerDriver; 04-27-2018 at 06:09 AM.