View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 PM
lukeh99
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by AV810 View Post
I'm trying to understand what a typical day will be like for a new hire F.O. at AWI. It appears that on an average day, crews fly about four one-hour legs. But I'm wondering over how many hours of the day those four flights are spread. I see Flightaware light up with AWI planes at 6:00 am, and planes are still flying late into the evening. What is the length of a crew's typical "shift" from beginning to end of duty?
I don't know that there is a typical day, but you usually have 30 minutes to an hour between flights. Keep in mind you are paid for half your duty day no matter how much actual flying you do. So a 12 hour duty day with 2 hours of flying pays 6 hours. Given this duty rig I wouldn't worry so much about what a typical day looks like from a pay perspective since you are always protected. This is a massive benefit of our contract. You will also earn a minimum of 3 hours per day no matter what you fly so a 1 hour flight to an overnight pays 3 hours. You are also limited by FAA rules for how long you can fly and remain on duty in a day. You can Google FAR117 for the details on that.

Also: I would say 3 legs a day is average. Plenty of 1 leg days and a number of 4 and some 5 leg days.