View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 08:00 AM
lukeh99
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by AV810 View Post
Still, it looks like a 12 to 13 hour duty day is permissible with a 4-leg trip starting at 6:00 or 7:00 am. Is it typical to be on duty for 12 to 13 hours in a day?
You will work plenty of 12-14 hour duty days. This is the airline industry. It happens at Air Wisconsin. It happens at United and Delta. It’s just how things operate. You will also work plenty of 4 hour days. Some days you will spend the whole day at a hotel and work 0 hours. You can probably count on at least 2 long duty days per 4 day trip.

Or does AWI try to avoid paying trip rigs by keeping your duty time to 2X your flight time.
You said trip rig but I’m going to assume you meant duty rig since trip rig has little to do with how long the duty days are.

Air Wisconsin does avoid paying duty rigs. That’s the whole point of duty rigs. Pilots want to make sure we get compensated for the time we spend on duty. It is an incentive for the company to build productive trips. If you are on duty for 12 hours they are going to do their best to make sure you had 6 hours of actual flying in the 12 hour period so they don’t have to pay you for sitting in the airport watching Netflix. If you are on duty for 8 hours they will do their best to make sure you flew at least 4. They couldn’t care less how long you are on duty except as that relates to how much flying you did during that period on duty.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know anyone who care how long their duty days are. Sure it’s a bit annoying when you see that today is a 14 hour day and you don’t feel like doing anything. But it’s built into the lifestyle of flying for an airline. Every day is totally different from the last and you will have easy days and hard days.

I realize they vary, but on regular days, how many hours of duty do you guys typically expect?

Again, there is literally not an answer to this question besides zero to what you see in the FAR 117 Limits. On average maybe 9 hours? My first 4 day in May has the following duty days:

Day 1: 9 hrs
Day 2: 6 hrs
Day 3: 11 hrs
Day 4: 5 hrs

My second 4 day is: 9,9,9,6 hrs
Third: 8,11,5,7

The first two MKE 4 day trips in open time: