View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Bengal
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Even that depends on who you're flying for and how long you think it will last. If it can happen to GE...

Airlines are of course cyclical but if you get on in the near future you should quickly move above the furlough high-water mark on the seniority list.
Well, in all fairness, the writing was on the wall at GE for 5+ years, which is the reason why many of their pilots had been moving on over the past 3-5 years.

My job is dependent on one high net worth individual who is 72 years old. He’ll have an airplane until he can no longer travel due to health or death. But the question is, how long is that?!

I can’t honestly say that flying for any of the majors really appeals to me. But flying for an ACMI outfit does. With Kalitta, I’d take a ~$100,000 pay hit the first year, and then probably $70,000, and then stabilize around $60,000 pay hit, until I upgraded to captain, at which point I’d probably be about where I’m at today. If that wasn’t at play, this thread wouldn’t exist. It’s a tough pill to swallow. But if I knew the job was going to last 6 more months or 6 more years, it would all be an easier decision.