View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 AM
maxjet
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by shroomwell View Post
Tick tock, our CBA becomes amendable soon. With better union representation that will work for and open the sections that WE want.
Our length of negotiations had little to do with our Union and much to do with Connie. The RLA severely limits what a Union can do. A good example is Atlas. They are negotiating with a company that is top heavy in debt, and has lots of support from its members regarding no OT and work slowdowns. You would think it would get done quickly. The courts allowed the company to file an injunction against the Union.

Imagine the response from Connie when you ask for 16% contribution. One of the more gentle responses will be, show me how paying you 16% more, makes me more money? I don’t have an answer for that. If we don’t come up with one that makes sense then there will be no 16%.

The contract was settled because a perfect storm happened. Couldn’t hire pilots and Connie needed to expand or wither and die on the vine like National.

Here’s hoping for another perfect storm in a few years. For certain lots of things will change by the time a new contract is finalized.

On the good side, Connie and Pete may establish a better working relationship with the new union. World peace may become possible at a level not seen before, resulting in economic growth.

On the bad side, recession, cabatoge, 767 prices stay high, An Atlas type board takes over for our present management team.

Bottom line is, don’t set your hopes on another contract leap anywhere near what the last one was. Btw, keep in mind that all ships in the harbor have yet to rise. Other than the pilots, nobody else in the company received pay raises 2 years ago. That shoe is yet to drop.