View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 09:06 PM
dbflyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by austin27 View Post
So my current flying job does not match up with my long term career goals and for multiple other reasons I am very un-happy here. I have made the decision to leave. I have since been offered TWO opportunities. One of them is a much better opportunity for me. I can live where I want and pays more than the other and will take me to where I want to end up quicker. Problem is they need me to start in 3 weeks. I am currently operating as a single crew and my company will likely have to ground the plane for a little until they can find another first officer and send him through training (which sounds like classes might be back up for a bit). The other job while not bad will require me to live somewhere I still like but is much much more expensive and pays less. It will also likely take me longer to get where I want to be in the end. However they will let me start when Im ready. I obviously would like to take job number one but it will put my current employer in much more difficult situation. They are great people and a great company. They do have 4 other planes (just different types). My last intention is to screw over my company but at the end of the day I feel like I have to do whats best for me and my personal happiness. Thoughts?
You're very unhappy there, and they are great people and a great company do seem to quite line up. Sounds like it is time to go. Two weeks notice is professional standard and in no way screwing the company.

I work for a great company. Should I decide to leave, they will get only two weeks notice and that is all they will expect. They will be appreciative for the time I spent, thank me for my time and wish me well, that is how good professional relationships end since that is also how they probably started.

Maybe part of the reason you're not happy is because you have no life? The reason I'm guessing that is because if one pilot leaves and the aircraft is grounded, the company has been to cheap all along to make sure THEY have plans to cover obvious contingencies. Do they ground the plane every time one of you gets sick, or do they count on you to always suck it up and make sure the schedule gets covered?

You have a new opportunity, it works for your family, and you can behave professionally on your exit however they chose to respond to your notice. Keep your head up and move on to the next step. Every employer should know by now this is how the industry works, and it's on them to have planned ahead for such contingencies. Enjoy your new job!