View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Shaman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Fetal in the hub

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
There is no FAR requirement for any kind of sleep/rest facility on an aircraft scheduled for over 8 and less than 12. JetBlue let their RFOs lay on the floor in the back of their A320s. Other major airlines just took a business class seat (long before the days of lay flat) or a row of three coach seats and offered them up as a way for the additional crew member to grab a nap. None of those options are a perfect solution but the bottom line is that the FARs require nothing so anything these companies do is gravy.
Respectfully the FARs are minimum requirements. They are often not reflective of industry best practices or the highest standard of safety. (i wouldn't consider those gravy)

"Just because it is legal doesn't make it safe"

You're correct 'none of those options are a perfect solution", but they are all a far sight better than the "solution" we currently use. I think PTB and many others are approaching this from a best practices stand point and not this is what the regulator requires.

FEDEX does apply this to many areas where a value addition can be found. An example is the creation of the landing safety improvment team on for the MD-11 and the subsequently implemented PMR program.

I think this is an important point for those considering joining this company. If someone can make a case and it will improve performance, efficiency, or safety even if it involves spending money FEDEX will do it.
I haven't been here that long, but there are dozens of examples of this that I can cite without references. I have never once felt that this company doesn't care about this crew force to spend money if it makes sense.

What I have seen is a crew force often times unwilling to show the intestinal fortitude required to demand change, but that's another issue.