View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by sqwkvfr View Post
You wanna tell me the name of even one American airline that owns even one jetbridge at even one airport, genius?

Originally Posted by sqwkvfr View Post
Many? As in rarely? As in never?

Thanks for education, professor, but that was kinda my point. Jetbridges are owned by the airport or it’s authority. Allegiant (or any ULCC or LCC for that matter) doesn’t “pony up” for jetbridges, particularly at an airport like PIE where only two of what, 14 or 15 gates have them and the cost would exceed $9 million just to buy the things...that doesn’t include the renovation required to install them or the fact that there just isn’t enough terminal building to install enough to cover every parking spot.

So, “ponying up for jetbridges” doesn’t happen anywhere, is cost prohibitive and physically impossible at PIE.

But thanks for the advice.

You understand that new jetbridges can be installed and can actually be pretty long to get to further away spots, right?

And yes, ponying up for jetbridges does happen. American just paid to have additional jetbridges installed on their dime at ORD. Delta pays for them as well, some of the bridges themselves are physically owned by Delta although generally speaking the spot they are in is likely leased (it is possible for an airline to actually own a terminal itself and jetbridge outright). They are paying a good deal of money for new terminals and additional jet bridges at multiple major airports right now.

You can usually see a data plate or license somewhere on the jetbridge as you enter that details its status. A bridge that has an airline's name on the certificate or data plate is owned by that airline. Some are held by holding companies or other secondary means though so it can be hard to decipher those.

I know Delta and Alaska both have physical ownership of jet bridges and terminal facilities. I am confident American does the same and believe United is in the same situation.

Some airports that only have 1 or 2 jetbridges have them because a given airline paid for them and has exclusive rights (or as I said owns the physical bridge itself outright). Bridges are installed, they are not permanent features that cannot be removed. In fact, bridges have even been moved between different airports by owning airlines.

Your condescending attitude wouldn't be quite so bad if you weren't completely wrong about what you're asserting.