Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

It's definitely higher across the board at regionals. At SKW for example they used do a pretty rigorous screening at the interview, for both personality defects and fundamental flying skills (including technical interview and sim). This ensured a very high pass rate in training. About three years ago they decided that it was worth wasting some training $ if there was even a chance they could get more folks on line, so they literally a adopted a "hire them all and let the Training Dept. sort them out" approach. Outcome...

More washouts in ground training, usually due to work ethic issues which they used to sniff out at the interview.

More washouts in Sim, due to lack of ability, lack of currency, work ethic, or attitude. They'll work with slow learners, and folks who are out of currency, as long as they're showing progress.

More washouts in IOE, due to basic flying ability, ie can't adapt to real world, slam dunks, visuals, etc if ATC doesn't follow the SOP sim profile.

Once they got online, I saw new-hires sometimes needed more time than historical norms to get solid on the plane, and some had a notable lack of urgency about it. I also observed some bizarre personalities in my last year... hard to fix that.