View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:25 AM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
For one, I'm being realistic. I'm also attempting to address some of the comments made using the assumption that whatever reality some pax airline's commuter policy is based on automatically applies here.

Let's keep in mind that "what we have now" applies to a very large percentage of the trips our pilots fly. I'm not sure why you refer to it as "nothing". Almost anyone commuting to a trip flown in the lower 48 can do so protected by our current policy. So, I guess what we're talking about is trying to protect a commute to the international stuff, ANC or HNL and maybe a few random cats and dogs.

So, what do you suggest? Give us some scenarios and a corresponding commuter policy you think will apply.

Ok. Well I am experienced doing it. That's why I took the time to offer you specifics on the obstacles we face in commuting to international. If you lack the experience and knowledge to craft a policy, why are you continually suggesting a solution can be found? Isn't it possible that there is no policy allowing a commute directly into a long-haul flight that FedEx management would agree to because of the issues I brought up?

Unfair? Well, welcome to reality. That's life, as they say. International commute policy language that's the same for domestic flights isn't going to happen and I already explained why.

Maybe there's a solution involving a specific long haul policy. But trying to make a policy that can apply to both situations doesn't seem like a realistic goal.

I’m speaking of people actually trying to come up with something that works here rather than keep mentioning why nothing can ever be done. I’m not making assumptions of being forced to only use a Fedex Jumpseat or assumptions of trips we have now or trips we don’t even know about in the future. And I’m not making any assumptions as to only protect international trips but also reserve and not making the assumption that they all have to be the same. Im also not assuming that what we have now for domestic trips has to change because of added protection for reserve and international. I’m looking for those more experienced than I and more creative than I to suggest something. If there are no ideas here from you or anyone else, I would only make this assumption, that this is not a broad enough pool to find creative solutions because this is a man made “problem” and any man made problem can be addressed. I mean, even codifying what the company feels would be a best practice commute would be better than what we have now, meaning nothing for reserve and international. I apologize I didn’t make that clearer previously. I’m here talking to pilots about our collectively bargained contract in order to come up with ideas to make it better, which also includes making it fairer or more equitable, if you will. It’s germane to the discussion. Of course, I also accept that life isn’t fair because collectively we may feel we don’t need to improve certain sections of our contract that only benefits a certain demographic (commuters) even though that demographic is further segmented (domestic, international, reserve) into haves and have nots.

Now with that said, instead of repeating why it cant be done, can we talk about what can be done?