Thread: Planesense
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I have 3800 hours, an ATP issued in 1989. 500 night, 200 instrument, 2000 XC. A majority of those hours have been personal flying and most recently flight instructing primary students. I have 30 hours of turbo prop time but that was 25 years ago... I have very little experience with the glass cockpit. I retired from a career other than flying (ATC) and I am considering PS. I was interested in doing the FO thing first, then as my experience gained I would transition it Captain. That was my thinking.

After emailing the HR department they sent me an application for direct entry Captain. How hard is it to wrap your hands and mind around the APEX systems and go from steam gauges to the new systems? With the posts that I have been reading, seems like it's going to be some time before FO classes start again.

Should I wait for the next FO class or go for the direct entry Captain slot? I am a solid pilot, but that was all part 91 flying. Are there any PS pilot's here that can offer your suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I may have the outlying opinion in this matter, but I just couldn't imagine being in your shoes and going right into a Captains/PIC position in a non-part 91 flying organization.

I can't even see myself doing that currently. Maybe I wouldn't be an FO for long, but at a minimum that type of flying is different than anything I've done - like it would be for you.

Good luck though if you pursue this line of work and thanks for your ATC service! That will certainly be beneficial for you!