View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by A320fan
hey guys

this is my first poast, so im gonna ask a very typical "newbie" question. even if it has been discussed before, please go easy on me.

anyway, im a sophmore in high school, and only in Algebra 1 for math. at the rate im going, by the time i graduate, i will only have credits for Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. (like everyone else here) im going for an FO job, and i know that im behind in math. my question is: what math credits do most airline pilots have before they graduate high school?

thanks for the help
Colin
It totally varies. Military pilots all need college degrees, and technical/engineering degrees make you more competetive. These folks tend to have a stronger math background.

It is less critical for civilian pilots to have advanced math skills, but you would want at least trigonometry if possible. In order to get a pilot job that pays any kind of money (major airlines) you can assume that a 4 degree will be required, and a masters will help. The exact subject matter is not too important, but again an engineering/technical degree is probably a little better.