View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 04:41 PM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by CaptainDouglas View Post
Hello guys, I would like to thank everyone for the advice given here about EK. I understand the situation at EK and Dubai itself is not the best and probably won't improve.. However, the ME still represent an attractive opportunity for South American pilots both professional and economically with the addition of living in a safe country. In this case, do you recommend Flydubai instead of Emirates?

I'm considering this because it might be a better option in the short term. After 5 years I could leave with a command on a popular type and hopefully be a in a better position to settle elsewhere with some savings and a happy family being at home almost every night (or day). On the downside, I will be missing A LOT the routes and the wide body route network. I always dreamed about joining something like EK and make a career there. But sadly, I think those dream jobs only exist at majors in US or EU these days.

Does Flydubai sound like a good alternative to EK? Am I missing something? Is there a better option in the region? I can't apply to Qatar since I'm not Boeing or Airbus typed. Even if I could, I think Dubai is better with family. Etihad appears to be falling apart. I also considered other airlines in Asia but I think lifestyle and benefits are just better at the ME without commuting (personal preference).

For comparison, an FO at Flydubai is flying around 65-75 hrs ALMOST the same salary and benefits as EK, no jetlag, 1 or 2 layovers per month (this might increase to 4) average days off is 11 (might increase to 12 days off + rest days) of course the first 2 years it will be around 70 % night flying as well as EK but then seniority will help build a better roster. It seems reasonable considering the paycheck for a 737, definitely a better position for me, but I'm just concerned about not enjoying the job as much as I would in something like EK or QR talking about routes and nice layovers.

Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.
on pprune.org, they are saying that FlyDubai pilots will stay there and not go to Emirates, as the overall situation at FlyDubai for them is better than at EK. Better schedules and more days at home was one of the factors they mentioned.