View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 04:22 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I was talking about a hypothetical situation where the DOT does allow for pilots to use marijuana products (something that I don't see happening for a very long time). Rickair then said that even if the DOT allows it, a company could prohibit its use. I am saying that they couldn't dictate how you live your life on your days off. They can limit what you say online sure, but that is because they can claim it damages the reputation of the company. That would be like a company saying you can't drink even on your days off.
Where does it say they can't do that? Nowhere.

Most airlines ban you from drinking at arbitrary times, very few default to the law (ie 8 hours). Where does it say that's legal? Nowhere. But it's still legal.

Just because it offends your sensibilities doesn't mean it's actually illegal. I Got Rights!

Few companies ban smoking, and fewer still alcohol use because in most places it would limit their applicant pool, and annoy many potential customers and employees just over the principle of the thing.

An airline which banned MJ on the other hand would not annoy too many potential employees or customers. In fact, probably quite the opposite.

Now with all that said, some countries ban employee drug testing, and I think some US states ban random post-employment drug testing (ie they can test you once at time of hire. But that's just testing. Employers could still legally ban drug use, they just can't test for it (except as required by the Fed, ie DOT).