View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 AM
CheeseWagstaff
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017

I guess this as good a place as any to ask about techniques in the modern 74.

Would any current pilots and IPs care to chime in about crosswind technique?

I know that wing-low technique to counteract crosswinds, beyond 3 or 4 degrees, is asking for trouble in the 74. I understand there's a risk of dragging a pod.

When there's a very strong, or gusting crosswind, how would you say you handle this from a technique standpoint?

My experience so far is that the significant flare in this airplane generally begins at the "30" feet call or below.

In most cases with a strong crosswind, would one be best served to flare normally and then squeeze out the crab at around 10 feet? When, in general terms, is it too early or too late to de-crab the 400 or -8?

Is it generally necessary to apply an agressive, sub-1-second downwind rudder application, or is it generally slower, like a 1-2-3 count application? Do you find yourself going to full-deflection of rudder in the worst-case crosswind scenarios?

I assume there's still some necessary cross-controlling and slight wing-low upwind aileron at touchdown so that the upwind wing doesn't rise in the de-crab. How fast/aggressive is the yoke application after touchdown to prevent the upwind wing from rising while ensuring that the airplane isn't accidentally rolled onto the upwind inboard pod?

To what extent does a nasty crosswind influence your power reduction timing going into roundout and flare?

I know this seems like a lot of nitpicky questioning, but I'd like to hear the experiences of many others rather than just figure it out on my own when the stakes are a bit higher.

I hope other new or inexperienced whale pilots can benefit from any answers this gets as well.