View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 03:30 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
just a quick google search brought this up...

https://mashable.com/2016/04/20/regi.../#uC7eBXLPAGq3

Believe me when I say, its not a great investment. My wife is an anesthesiologist. She invested $250k in education, four years of school and four years as a resident (of which she got paid about $50k a year) and now she makes $550k a year. That's a good ROI.

She pretty much invested the same money and time into her education as a pilot would and a pilot will never see that kind of money. Not to mention, she will never get jerked around, be under a threat of losing her livelihood due to loss of a medical certificate and she is home pretty much every night.

Aviation, at this moment in time, is a decent calculated risk with a LIKELY good ROI.

And yes people are making $600-700K in the airlines (extreme cases, top-tier widebody CA's).

Also few people dreamed of being an anesthesiologist at age six. Few people will have the opportunity to attend med school and track in one of the lucrative but relatively easy specialties.

There are many factors. In the grand scheme of things, aviation is a good ROI, right now, if you can accept some risk.