View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 05:07 AM
Firefighterpilo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I passed my commercial checkride less than a year ago, my first job paid $34k/year + tips (150-200/week), my second job with a bit of overtime paid $45k/year for the first 6 months, and now I'm at 1200 hours and will be on track to hit $85k, $100k if I want to work every bit of overtime available. Cumulative, my first year pilot income will be around $60k/year. I don't think it's a "nonexistent" pay at all. Next year base pay will be just under $95k with no overtime. Currently I fly 3 days a week, live home, have all weekends off and home every night.

My flight training, all in, including hour building, was just over $45k until I got hired at my first job.
So far, my ROI has been incredible.
You are new to aviation and so far have had no issues. I was a regional fo during the lost generation making 50k a year for seven years when I switched careers. You will get more credit once you have been in the industry awhile and got some 121 time under your belt. I started flying professionally in 2003 as a CFI and went through post 911 and the recession. when you have had hurdles, which you most definitely will, then you will have a better overall picture of the industry. Some of the guys on here have 30 plus years of industry experience. It would serve you well to listen and keep your ears open. Aviation can be a fickle mistress.

Ps i have been hearing about this pilot shortage since 1999 and have yet to see any real shortage for good paying jobs please don’t give advice to people using best case scenarios in an industry that leans towards worse case scenarios.

Last edited by Firefighterpilo; 05-10-2018 at 05:17 AM.