View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 11:02 PM
rmr1992
Whale whisperer

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: 744 Capt
Default Fun Fact...

Here's a potential fun fact... rumor has it from recent interviewees that they are being told we will have a contract "soon". I wonder what soon means? Can any recent new hires/interviewees confirm/deny?

FWIW, After over a year hiatus, negotiations have been going since last July within a "framework agreement" (aka schedule and rules for negotiations) that has already been extended once due to an inability to complete it within the planned timeline. This framework has three blocks and was supposed to be completed, if I recall correctly, in January 18. As of this date, block 2 is still far from complete (ZERO areas with a TA and 1 still open from Block 1) and ZERO items in Block 3 have been discussed/proposed for discussion. There's 35 areas/articles to be discussed with 14 TAs so far, one TA reached since Sep 17 on a Block 1 item, last month. Six months and only ONE TA. Soon? That sounds like a relative term. At the current pace, no exaggeration, it will be another 2+ years before an agreement is reached. I wouldn't call that "soon". In case you were wondering, while all articles can have some economic impact, block 3 has the predominantly high economic impact areas. Regardless, one side appears to be stalling/delaying/slow-rolling discussion of blocks 2 & 3 while they hope to win an arbitration slated for late summer/early fall that would allow them to force an arbitrated process down the throat of the other side. In the mean time it's a daily grind to defend the limited protections of the current contract while having your awarded schedule "optimized" to reduce an awarded schedule that was built/advertised in the bid to credit well above guarantee to something close to min guarantee when it comes time for execution (because we have no pay/line protection other than the monthly min guarantee). If all of this is appealing to you then I hear they are still taking apps/interviewing for the sole remaining 747 class this year and the 767 classes we hear they will be running every 3 weeks from now until who knows when. But be careful, they may also offer you a "better fit" for a 777 class... Highly recommended if you like circumnavigating the planet 3 times in 20 days under a bankruptcy contract that pays the lowest rates of any operator of that type of equipment and has the worst work rules most pilots can imagine.