Old 05-12-2018, 07:20 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
BoilerUP,

I’d agree with the stagnation story UNTIL I met many corporate jet guys who learned to fly during the last 15-20 years, got jobs (admittedly in the NYC area) flying bizjets and never looked back. They were making pretty big money and working while others were beotching about stagnation. Yes, if you were hired at a regional, all excited to be a wet commercial with 251 hours flying a jet, stagnation meant you didn’t get the 767 seat you thought you deserved. Others worked on their careers, improved their resumes, and did well.

GF
I left my regional in November 2007 for a 91 job flying a Citation.

Dec 2007 Age 65 happens, Sept 2008 Lehman Bros happens, Great Recession starts and nearly all airlines stagnate.

Many, MANY 91 operations shut down over the next 2-4 years while Netjets furloughs hundreds.

I was promoted to CP in March 2008 at the age of 24 and was fortunate my company had long contracts, so we took delivery of a new plane in 2009 from the factory and hit block hour records in 2009, 2010 and 2011. I wasn't getting wealthy, but I was flying a brand-new jet as PIC while being a 'kid'. In the 2012-2013 range, I interviewed for two different large-cabin 91 operators and wasn't hired by either, as I "only flew a CJ"...but that experience helped me get hired by a major cargo carrier in 2014.

Did I stagnate? No...but I know lots and lots and lots of others that did, flying 121 regional and major and legacy and cargo and plenty of others that went through the job loss merry-go-round of 91/91K/135.