View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 10:11 AM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by ArmyFW View Post
... looking to start a Master’s program very shortly after and I can’t decide what route to take. ....This is for a backup degree in case I lose my medical or get furloughed by an airline once I leave the Army. I have 5 years left on my ADSO.
Good planning.
My observations from watching fellow Military aviators get a Masters, vast majority ended up pursuing airline/flying careers. Masters appeared to have little impact on being hired relative to peers w/o a Masters degree.
Some airlines like the cache of bragging that X% of their new hires have a 'masters or higher degree". Bragging rights only. No change in job responsibility or duties. Your a pilot.
If angling for management at an airline/corporate flying, may provide benefit if degree and experience are aligned.

Future retirements suggests masters not required for pure flying jobs in 121 world. If looking corporate, perhaps a unique fit for a corporate pilot but this is a niche like 121 management. Mostly, you will be a corporate pilot with a possible collateral job that would prefer real world experience (Aviation Safety Officer, Military Accident Investigation, etc) with masters not necessary.
Based on this, if desire corporate or 121 flying job as entry to management, then get aviation business centric degree that would match that personal goal. (Aviation management etc)
You stated that want as a furlough backup, chances are many of us go find another flying job. Speaks to our masochistic side
In that case, masters not needed. If lose a medical, Would obtain a masters in a field that truly interests you so you could market that degree if truly leaving aviation or decide to stay in a segment of aviation that truly interests you.
Good journeys.