Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 PM
kbay hombre
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post
Master of Science in Physician Assistant studies:

https://paonline.yale.edu/
Yeah dude, this is an amazing looking program! I've got an old bud whose wife did the PA program at a school in Texas (in person). She literally went from graduating straight into an ER job making six figures. Healthcare is ultimate portability and PA/NP is guaranteed good money anywhere you want. If you look at the details of this program, the downside is it has a pretty gnarly set of entrance requirements (Biochemistry or Organic Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Genetics). Most of these courses you have to do in-person at a local college and they require labs and are not easy, especially A&P and Biochem/Ochem. Also requires GRE's and requires some significant time spent both in clinicals and on the Yale campus, so might be hard to swing while you're an active duty pilot like the author.

Reason I went with Harvard is you can arrange it to only spend a few weeks total there to satisfy their residency requirement, they don't require GRE's or any test scores, and no prerequisites for most of their degrees, you just have to do really well in those first three classes to get into the program.

Originally Posted by bizzlepilot View Post
My take - go with the non-aviation related Master's, and try for the best school you can get. I did an MBA from a diploma mill while in the military only for the promotion (which was a huge waste of time). I just started an MPA at USC because I actually want something I'm interested in just in case the medical goes by-by. Whichever route you go, good luck!
+1. Was very tempted to go with a diploma mill that awarded me "life experience" for certain classes (super rigorous) or the cookie cutter staff war college master's degree. I had to do JPME at the Naval War College and had the chance to do an extra year to get a master's in strategic studies, but I pictured some civilian HR recruiter going "what the hell is strategic studies?". These options were a waste of time. Go with a good brick and mortar school, whatever you do, and get something you can actually use in a non-aviation field that you're interested in. Crap happens, and for one reason or another, a decade from now many of us could be furloughed. If you're lucky enough to have military TA or the Post 9/11 GI Bill, use it to be prepared for life after the military and life after flying.