View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM
zerozero
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Let's all take a breath.

Remember, every time a pilot takes a swing at another pilot, an executive gets a little warm inside his shriveled heart.

So let's knock it off, from every angle.

The fact is, we obviously employ some crew members who are not the most diplomatic in the world. That doesn't mean they're evil and wish you harm as a new hire.

Rather than open hostility, what some new hires have experienced is plain, old fashioned rudeness and inconsiderate comments.

Like:
How long have you been here?
Do you have a degree?
Jet PIC?
What are you doing here?
Why aren't you at FedEx or UPS?

It's not very welcoming, and some of the more sensitive new guys are feeling ATTACKED.

It's not an attack. It's old guys who don't care anymore; they're fatigued; THEY'RE feeling attacked by the company; all they want is a fair deal, do their job and go home.

As a new hire, you're one step ahead of the game if you have already done the research into our contract; if you understand WHY BOTH the union and the company have taken the positions they have taken; if you understand why you're paying dues plus an assessment every paycheck.

My standard greeting when I meet new hires is:

"Welcome to Atlas. I'm glad you're here. This is a great airplane and we fly to some amazing spots. As soon as the door closes we're gonna have a good day. I don't know what your career plans are, but things are pretty uncertain here at Atlas. If I were in my 30s, I'd keep some of my options open and continue applying to those companies that I KNOW have a long term business plan. This place doesn't have one. It's only as good as its next contract. So when the music stops (and it WILL STOP one day) you had better be pretty dang sure you are where you want to be for the next 30 years because you're gonna be STUCK THERE."

I probably just outed myself to a bunch of new hires. But at least they can vouch for my credibility.

Good luck.
Keep more than ONE iron in the fire.