View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Varsity
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by poorflyer View Post
If you're asking to come to a regional based on the coast it flies on I'll tell you that is a very very bad idea.

As a general discussion, west coast flying is much easier and less stressful. Not many thunderstorms and most are pop ups in Texas that are easily avoided. The less intense weather also means less delays and cancellations so you don't sit at an outstation waiting to be rescued. Winds are constant most the year so you'll most likely have a 15 knot headwind to help smooth out your landings. Hardly any icy runways or freezing rain. Less traffic means quieter radios, especially true on guard, I've heard horror stories of the idiots screaming on guard on the east coast. No devastating cold fronts that take out a couple states worth of schedules.

Again this is no reason to choose coming here just my experience. And I think it does come at a fault because I feel my experience of dealing with such things is lower than my east coast brethren so I try and prepare more when I see some unusual weather along my route.
West coast challenges are different. Particularly real mountain flying.

The east coast just sucks. It's old, dirty and crowded. I don't want to fly or live there.