View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 03:57 AM
GuppyPuppy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: JetRight, JetLeft

Originally Posted by Wkdpssa View Post
I know I’m taking a huge risk of stirring up a hornets nest by resurrecting this thread but here goes. My son was just offered a June class date for the Gateway Select program. As a proud father (and SWA captain) I’m a little nervous about how he’ll be received by the pilot group having ‘jumped’ directly to the right seat if/when he completes this program. I am hesitant but it is his choice. Without starting a new thread on JB pilot’s feeling with the recent AIP I have to say I’m less hesitant. I’ve really enjoyed talking to all the JB pilots that have ridden on my jumpseat and believe y’all have a great product but Papa needs to hear the honest truth. Thanks in advance.
Let me ask you this... how would he be received on your flight deck? Ask your captain friends and F/O's how they would receive him.

He will be looked down upon and may feel he has to prove himself, which could be dangerous.

Ask your friends at United how the quota hires were accepted. That being said, if I were a low-time quota type at United back in the day i would have jumped at the chance. I know plenty of these types who jumped the line and it really irks me, especially considering that I lost my job there and they didn't.

If he can live with the consequences of jumping the line, then go for it. Truth is that he will have much more experience than any of the 500 hour wonder boys and girls who were hired at United from about '89-'96.

In my cockpit respect is earned, not granted due to a resume. I've flown with crappy military, former 121, etc... I've also flown with some pretty good Cape Air pilots (and crappy ones too).

If he can be humble and accept criticism, go for it.

GP