View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 AM
coopervane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: At JBLU

Originally Posted by Wkdpssa View Post
I know I’m taking a huge risk of stirring up a hornets nest by resurrecting this thread but here goes. My son was just offered a June class date for the Gateway Select program. As a proud father (and SWA captain) I’m a little nervous about how he’ll be received by the pilot group having ‘jumped’ directly to the right seat if/when he completes this program. I am hesitant but it is his choice. Without starting a new thread on JB pilot’s feeling with the recent AIP I have to say I’m less hesitant. I’ve really enjoyed talking to all the JB pilots that have ridden on my jumpseat and believe y’all have a great product but Papa needs to hear the honest truth. Thanks in advance.
I would ask....what’s the hurry? Tell him to get a degree (non aviation....online if necessary) while flight training. Be VERY picky about which regional he ALLOWS to hire him, and upgrade there. (It will be fast) he can join you at SWA or go to the big 3when hiring gets really robust. Working for a goal is valuable. Work shouldn’t be a 4 letter word.

This program is too much money with too many unknowns. Including interest the real cost is north of 250,000. He wouldn’t pay it off for decades. It capitalizes on the millennial stereotype of I WANT IT NOW. I think he will be treated as such by some pilots. It is a program founded in case the nuclear option is the only option left. (Ie no more fools applying at jetblue)

I have a friend at SWA who is mentoring his nephew. I am AMAZED at his progress. He got his private a couple years ago and he just upgraded at a regional. I’ve been doing this for 18 years (lost decade in left seat of an RJ) and he seems awefully close behind me (and will probably get hired at SWA Or Delta in the next year or so. I don’t think 4 years is too slow.

Does he think that?