Thread: UAL Mil for Mil
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Viperstick
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

My story:

- 22 years, >2500 hrs PIC, combat, IP, SEFE, safety stink, current at retirement four years ago
- Published the day I dropped my papers (a year out), figured I could always move up retirement if I needed to (may be harder now)
- Five recs, all bros
- Nothing for six months, then reached out to the husband of a girl I went to high school with--walked my resume into chief pilot--called for interview within three weeks
- Emerald Coast prep (also did sim prep in DEN that's now OBE)
- Wrote thank yous to everyone involved in the hiring process (including Doris). Tip: ask for business cards during interview, helps with the thank yous and also helps you remember names during a very stressful process
- Hired Oct 2013; dog paddled for four months
- Got a call from American a week before Indoc; declined interview
- Bought a General of Gentleman Jack for each of my bros and a lot of wine for my classmate & her husband--don't be a cheap bastard, thank the people who helped you get there

Observations:

- I walked another guy's resume in and he got a call--there is definitely value to chief pilot meet & greets or at least having someone vouch for you to people making personnel decisions
- That guy & another I wrote a rec for failed the Hogan--both are on with someone else now
- Do the interview prep, even if you are glib and effortlessly think on your feet
- Take the time to help the guy behind you get on