View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM
captande
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by Space Ranger View Post
Thats not what I said. I am on the 200 but scheduled to transition to the 900 which at 9E is called "differences" because we don't fly all 3 variants like you do. This thread is more of a landing technique as I'm interested to see the different techniques and insight before I get onto the line. I'm sure my OE captain and the guys in simland will have their input but I don't think there is much wrong with throwing it out to the forum. Not trying to start a d*ck measuring contest, but the 200 is significantly easier to land than the 900, so thats why I'm asking.
My biggest piece of advice is once you get it, don’t make major changes. When I was on IOE I had 4 captains and all 4 had a different way of doing it. The 2nd captain was able to explain it best to where landings were acceptable. By the end of the trip with the 4th guy I was smacking them on again with the way he wanted it done.

I carry the thrust in to about 30, then slowly pull it off to be closed by 10. Judge my roundout and flair by how quick or slowly the 30, 20, 10 calls come. My biggest issue was eyes down the runway. Like it was stated above a firm landing in the 900 is not only anticipated it’s desired. It’s too easy to have that thing drop out from under you if you flair too high and/or pull the power off too soon.

Just my .02, and again everyone has found their own knack for landing it.