View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM
JayBee
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Av8er1550 View Post
The main thing is most people flare too much. I’ve found that I used to have my seat positioned too low and would flare a good bit. Once I started positioning my seat in the correct spot for landing and not glaring as much it makes for a beautiful landing. I’ll start walking the power back on the 100 foot call, little more on the 50. It’s out by 20 and just a small touch of flare and sometimes even a tad bit of forward pressure on the yoke. I saw so many captains doing that for the longest time and always would grease it and then I started doing it. If you try to pull back too hard right before it touches, the way the main gear is positioned, it’ll also make for a harder landing. The elevator is basically just pushing the wheels down harder at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This echoes my experience almost exactly.

Just a smidge of power at 100'(and don't flare at this point, seems like people get antsy in the pantsy and want to start pulling back, if anything I might even push it forward just a tiny tiny bit) at 50' pull power at a rate conducive with conditions (I've found in windy gusty turbulent to reduce power slower and less flare, it will be firm instead of a greaser) and simultaneously very lightly smoothly ease back on the yoke by the time you hear 10 no more flaring and possibly even a small quiff hair of a push.

If you do it like they teach in the sim you'll float it to the end of touch down zone every time. how they do it in the sim works in the sim.