View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM
C425Driver
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by Wkdpssa View Post
I know I’m taking a huge risk of stirring up a hornets nest by resurrecting this thread but here goes. My son was just offered a June class date for the Gateway Select program. As a proud father (and SWA captain) I’m a little nervous about how he’ll be received by the pilot group having ‘jumped’ directly to the right seat if/when he completes this program. I am hesitant but it is his choice. Without starting a new thread on JB pilot’s feeling with the recent AIP I have to say I’m less hesitant. I’ve really enjoyed talking to all the JB pilots that have ridden on my jumpseat and believe y’all have a great product but Papa needs to hear the honest truth. Thanks in advance.
The Gateway Select program is still in its infancy and none of the graduates have hit the line yet so it’s all speculation as for as how he’d be recieved. As with almost any pilot, he’d be well recieved in my cockpit unless he starts messing up or has a big head becuase he made the leap from a Cirrus (or a twin Cessna) to an Airbus.

I’d tell him to go to the local FBO and get his ratings there. He can instruct, move on to Part 135, then get on at a regional for a whole lot less cash out of pocket. To entice new hires, many regionals are paying for their ATP training. He should choose a regional with a flow through to a major. I wish him well but there are much less expensive ways to achieve the same results.