Thread: Side Hustle
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
You could do that if paying off the house was your primary goal. But it's cheap to borrow right now so what I think is a more prudent strategy (especially if your goal is to grow your rental business) is to keep those profits in an account ready for future investment or to cover the inevitable pop up expenses. As I said earlier, vacancies happen (planned and unplanned), evictions happen (months of lost rent plus some extra move out/make ready expense is probable), repairs happen (planned and unplanned). As a data point, in the last 12 months I have had a water heater go bad ($1200), an AC unit need replacing ($2500) and hurricane damage ($1200...and of course I carry a $1500 deductible, go figure). Best not to be sweating it to cover those expenses or covering just basic mortgage payments and upkeep while the property is vacant (as my dad was fond of saying, "that lawn ain't gonna mow itself!").

For me, the side hustle isn't about income now. I get plenty of that for my current needs from Momma Delta right now. Its about replacing that income when Momma Delta is out of the picture, be it because of retirement (early or otherwise), medical issues (car wrecks happen even to the best drivers), or these JVs don't pan out after all and Delta goes T-U during the next economic downturn or black swan event. That's my bottom line.
How many properties do you have? How many to you want to end up with? What kind of LTV do you have on the mortgage(s)?

We moved out of our old house (about 50% LTV now) and I'm contemplating paying it off completely or using cash on hand to put ~50% down on another one.

It sounds like you lean towards hanging onto the debt since it's cheap money, which is why I'm curious what your long term plan is.

I like the idea of having a handful of houses paid off by retirement, but am torn on whether to pay one off at a time (safer) or spread it out and let the tenants pay them down.