Thread: SFO - Commute
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Dave Fitzgerald
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: 777

Originally Posted by Fermi Paradox View Post
I have the opportunity to buy some land in northern California and was wondering if anyone has commuted to SFO from SMF or RNO. The property is equidistant between the two (about 1.5 hour drive). Curious if this is feasible, or if I'd be better off viewing it as a vacation retreat.

Assuming this is only possible after I can hold a line, how long before one is off of reserve? 737 vs. 320?

thanks!
Be very careful with the drive times quoted here. On an average day, it takes 1.5 hrs, no traffic from Napa. 2 hours from Davis. Any times listed less than this is wishful thinking, no traffic. There is always traffic.

From the area you are talking, plan 3-3.5 min. And remember, once you are in the employee parking lot, it's another 20 min walk into ops. Sitting short call at home from this area will be right on the edge.

You WILL get min call outs on reserve. With SFO MX base, you get ferries to broken planes out of the MX base. "How fast can you get to the airport?" Call.

It's doable with some planning, and keeping the bag packed, but don't go into it with rose colored glasses. The traffic will wear you down. Going home will be, many times, just to get through the city to the bay bridge, an hour or more.