View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 12:40 PM
aeroengineer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Good advice above.

1)I knew a former recruiter downrange and he admitted when it came to recruits it was "Fire and Forget" once they headed to basic. Not his problem any more. Just the reality.

2) Keep your eye on a program called "Forces to Flyers" it's pretty new but it is planned to take veterans and turn them into pilots on the civilian side. Like I said it's new so details to be worked out.

3) See number 2. I have opined that young potential recruits are now closing on a decision point in the hiring wave not unlike what you are facing. Forces to Flyers is touted to help reduce the pilot shortage and concurrently reduce demand on the military aviators the airlines seek. I see it as no win for the military. I offer a path to the airlines for vets so if airlines are my ultimate goal why would I not do a "relatively" (yes everything in the military is relative) quick 4 year enlistment followed by 2 years of flight training and off to my flying career or do a military aviation track with 2 years training followed by a 10 year ADSC before you even think of a seniority number with an airline. 6 versus 12 years. Just something to consider.

4) Take a mentor that's military savvy with you to the recruiter

Good Luck and Thanks for stepping up.