View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 06:35 PM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

I'm not a pilot, I just started flight training for a third career. I was enlisted ground active and reserve. Funny thing is I deployed more as a reservist than on active duty.

Your recruiter lied to you my man. Nothing new, you're just meat for the grinder in their eyes. It's really hard to finish shool on active duty as an enlisted man. Your command and immediate supervisors have to work with you. Quite frankly this usually does not happen at all if ever. Depending on your mos and needs of the military you will most likely be backfilling for units about to deploy or on workups for deployments. I'm not really sure about army aviation side but in the marines on deployments or work ups pre deployment it's 16 to 20 hour days every day. You will not have the time nor inclination to open a book. If operational tempo really ratchets up for any reason you might be clearing houses with grunts. Early OIF/OEF we had generator mechanics, cooks, supply guys, airframe guys, fuelers, basically anyone that wasnt busy at the time hop into hmmv's and clear buildings. Your wants and needs will always be secondary to that of the military. If you think just because I'm in aviation I won't be on the street? I can tell you for a fact that is not the case.

If you have the gpa and are relatively fit (1st class pft with ease) I would try to delay a year and see if you can get the senator recommendations for an appointment to one of the service academies or a rotc program with an aviation designation.

If not I would delay and apply for woft directly as many have mentioned street to seat.

Some have already mentioned this as well find a spot at an air guard unit as a reservist find a full time job that allows you to finish school then apply for a commission. Get an accounting degree or nursing something practical that also is a back up career. The military and airlines require any degree but get something you can fall back on in case airlines take a hit again.

If you really want to fly for the military I would go through the eye exams first and make sure you are eligible. The military tests for vision etc are much more stringent than faa requirements.

As far as recruiters go, get everything in writing. They have to give you a copy of the contract. First when you request a copy they'll give you a bunch of numbers and letters it's like binary code. They have to give you a copy that is legible in plain English. If they do not, get something in writing saying that they refuse to give you a copy in plain English. They are not your friend. They do not care about you. You are just a number to them.