View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 02:17 AM
KSUto64
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

As others have already mentioned I would not leave for basic without first exploring the WOFT option. That is how I came into the Army 7 years ago. From the time I left for basic to graduation from flight school was 2 years, AH64 course at the time was 6 months and there were still quite a few "bubbles" in training where you were stagnant. After that there is a 6 year commitment for completion of flight school, in total I will do 8 years and 8 months (took the ADSO for Instructor Pilot Course).

If your end goal is simply to be a pilot I would explore all other options before enlisting. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will get to go to flight school just because you are a maintainer. However you will no without a doubt thats where you are going if you do the street to seat(WOFT) program.

I would look into a guard unit as well, I believe there is still tuition assistance/GI bill with the guard. You can use that to help with going to an FAR Part 141 credited training school and be working on your CIV flight training as well as a MIL trained pilot. Then you would only need 750 hours total time between Military and civilian IOT qualify for the rATP and get hired onto a regional.

The time is now to get into the airlines or start working towards the flight time you need to get in. Losing 8 years to Active Duty will cost you a lot in terms of seniority and potentially retirement/401k benefits especially considering you are already 27.