View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Gordie H
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by mikey1029 View Post

I might think Air Force would be out of the question because I am 27 going on 28 soon, so by the time I get a degree Ill be in my early 30s.
I’d say, generally speaking, you’re probably right regarding your age / Air Force options. There are still possibilities with the guard/reserves but it sounds like this off the street WOFT program IS the program for you.

So I think the first decision you need to make is are you going to enlist right now as an aviation mechanic if it comes to that (and it sounds like it is coming to that)? While you weigh this decision you would need to assume that you aren’t going to flight training during this 6 year period. And, with that in mind, you have to ask yourself would you be “ok” with that? Obviously I don’t know you, but from what you’ve written I’d say the answer is “No”.

With that I’d continue to ride your recruiter (politely / persistently) to get the WOFT application in. But if it doesn’t get done, don’t enlist. Just be honest with the recruiter at that point…I can give you some baseline phrases to help with this conversation if you want.

But if this all fails, find another recruiter, in a different town maybe, and keep pursuing the WOFT . While you’re working on that consider more traditional civilian flight training avenues, such as… save money, get PP on side, save more money, get IFR rating, etc. until you get CFI. You might be too old for ROTC etc. but you’re not even close to being too old to have a nice career flying.