View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Pilatus801
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Family guy

Originally Posted by Antney View Post
If I was making sub 100k I think it would be a no brainer with the current future potential earnings to come back. I’m stuck at point with my compensation that it would take 10+ years to break even right at the time my kids will be through college or just starting and that’s if everything goes perfect ( 3 years at regional and 3 years at major to finally see 200k again per year).

It’s tough choice and I wrestle with this daily which sucks. At my old regional, Chicago Express, i remember how stagnant the attrition got and how bad it was. It was probably my young poor attitude that wants everything now when I was 22 to get out of aviation. Funny how when you get older you can put things in perspective. Wish I had that when I was 22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me extend a message of caution. I don't know why this happens, but so often we tend to romanticize and glamorize the unknown. That new job or new career path in our brains seems like an awesome and beautiful thing. For some reason, we only see amazingness and awesomeness at the new job. We tend to not see the real world crap that will come with that job. I do it and most people i know do it. Why that is, i do not know.

Then we finally arrive at that career or new job we have been salivating about and realize that it isn't quite what we thought it would be. It's work. There are pros AND cons to the job. There are tough times, ridiculous policies and knee jerk management decisions. You realize you are just a pawn. One of many. You realize that this shiny thing you wanted to be a part of is just another job with its many facets of good, bad and ugly.

You have painted a pretty rosy picture of your current life. It sounds pretty amazing and i can imagine it is difficult to walk away from. I would advise you to tread lightly, because you will have to pay your dues for a lot of years and deal with a lot of crap to get back to your current income status. You must weigh the lost opportunity costs.

Its a big decision and i am currently grappling with it as well. Nobody can make it for you and I hope you can make peace with the decision you ultimately make. Best of luck.