View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 AM
flybub
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by PRS Guitars View Post
This illustrates the point nicely.

If I were the OP, I’d definately stay at the 200k job at least for the foreseeable future. But, if I were you, I’d be starting my CFI rating tonight at a local school and plan to be instructing on the side side by August, full time by the fall. If you live in the right area, you can make 60k as a CFI, but it takes some work, and networking. Better money as an independent contractor, but less students and more work getting students. It will help that you’re in the aviation business already.
It has been seriously considered. Unfortunately, I live in Ohio and flying year round is difficult. I'm an 1 hr and 20 minutes from Ohio State and the same from Kent State so I do have some options for instructing, but thats a horrible commute on a CFI salary that may not be able to fly year round. Very little part 61 flying where I am so I would probably continue working my full time job or possibly drop to part time.

One thing I have going for me; my wife has a great job/career making $140K+ per year, she carries our health insurance, and I have her full support to get back in the plane.