Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 AM
los5041
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Get your instrument, commercial and 1st class medical knocked out and I have little doubt you will receive a call shortly thereafter. Plenty of people going through training right now with very little actual instrument flying due to flying on the west coast most of their previous flying careers. If you have been staying current then that is what is most important. I agree with what was mentioned above about getting some Flight Director/Glass experience, even if it's a few hours. The instrument flying you are used to (assuming needle flying) is pretty much useless at this level until you're in the terminal environment. Instrument flying in these aircraft is telling a computer (Flight Management System) what you want to fly and making sure that you are in the correct Flight Director mode to allow the plane to fly it. If you can get that Flight Director experience you will be slightly ahead of many people currently going through training. I don't think your failure from Private Pilot is any sort of disqualifier, at least not in today's demand. I don't recommend failing your INST/COMM when you do take them, as that won't look very good and could prevent you from getting the call. There are a few other options out there too if you want to get some more experience. I've got a buddy flying with Boutique Air and they use the same Flight Management System as we do. Either way, go and get those tickets put on your license and update your application. Until you have those, I wouldn't expect a call. Good luck.