View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Spudhauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Taxi Driver

Originally Posted by arouth View Post
Hi,

E-8 JSTARS 707 pilot in Georgia at 17 years in the Air Force. I am currently in the left seat as an aircraft commander. I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on being hired by Delta now or in the next few years I’m most likely getting out at 20 years but could technically exit next month.

One thing about being in the Air Force is that you have other jobs aside from flying. I just did a 1 year non-flying overseas tour and now am flying twice a month to be maintain some proficiency, but the rest of the time I do office work. That is most likely not going to change since the younger pilots are are lining up to deploy since that is how you get hours and upgrade.

I have about 2500 hours total with roughly 1200 PIC, 800 SIC, and the rest student and other time. That is probably not going to increase dramatically in the next 3 years when I hit 20, so I was just wondering what my chances are of being hired as a FO with Delta? From my research on here I’m thinking it’ll be the regionals, but you never know.

Thanks!
I'd say get your app in as soon as you can. While we have hired a lot over the past several years, retirements haven't really begun in earnest. If you have friends at Delta, hit them up for a letter of recommendation, which will at least get your application scored. Delta has a history of loving pilots with military time, so hopefully that will work in your favor and you can bypass the regional route. Best of luck to you!