Thread: Omni vs Atlas
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 PM
SoFloFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by DC8DRIVER View Post
I honestly wouldn't count on Atlas getting a new contract any time soon. The company has no-showed for negotiating sessions and is not keeping to the agreed upon negotiating schedule. There are three "blocks" of contractually negotiable items starting with the easiest (i.e. seniority, uniforms, union representation, etc.) and ending with block 3, the most contentious (i.e. pay, retirement, etc). After years of on and off negotiating sessions, there are only about 14 out of 35 tentatively agreed upon sections with about half of the remaining sections not even opened.

The company has made it clear that they do not intend to complete negotiations (they have stated that they will cease negotiations this coming August) and they plan to use the court system to force an amalgamated contract on us. Not only will this process take a really long time to complete, but it will result in a significantly sub-standard contract that pilots will not be able to vote on. The current Atlas contract is the result of a merged contract (between the old Atlas contract and the old Polar contract) that pilots weren't allowed to vote on. The current Southern contract is a seriously substandard, bankruptcy forced contract. Merging these two contracts will net pay scales far, far below anything close to the current industry standard and worst of all will NOT include any work rule improvements at all. Obviously, as you well know, most of the significant pay protections and improvements hinge upon the work rules as opposed to the hourly rates.

Anyway, don't come to Atlas expecting a contract any time soon. And if and when we do get one, don't expect anything good to come of it.
Might sound simple... or ignorant, but why doesn’t the pilot group just strike? Hit them where it counts, in their pockets. Cant make money if the metal isn’t moving.