View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 AM
ugleeual
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Originally Posted by Hilltopper89 View Post
This is a very, very simple equation for 95% of new hires. 756 is a notoriously great airplane with great flying...but not at the new hire level. Just don’t do it. By way of example I’ve been here 5 years. I am 38% in a junior base on the 73. At other bases in the 73 I’d vary between 24% (SFO) and 65% (DEN). On the 320 I’d be far more senior with the highest being 13% in EWR (27% in SFO). On the other hand the highest I’d be on 756 in SFO 39% and DCA 55%. You will get people that defend it to the death here and I totally get it. But for anyone junior it’s a no brainer. After 5 years I could have 18-22 days off working turns on a NB or perhaps 14 days off in a good month going to London all the time on a WB. I’m not arguing the airplane or the flying. Nobody disaparages either. I’m 100% positive the average day on those kills the average NB day. But the fact of the matter is..if you take the 756 as a new hire you are basically guaranteed 2 years of reserve. Your classmates going to SFO will be lineholders almost immediately. That fits for a small subset of us. If that’s you, please do it. The bottom line is 756 for almost all of us will lead to a worse...probably much worse...quality of life. Make your choice...but there’s a reason 756 is most junior for new hires. Choose with caution. For perspective: I wouldn’t even consider bidding it at my 5 year point. 39% best case (SFO), 91% (DEN), versus 13% NB (EWR) versus very close to NB CA (SFO). IMO unless you live in base and don’t need the money 756 FO anywhere is stupid for a junior person. My 2 cents if you’re west coast is to take a NB position then bid to a WB at some point. The only WB which makes sense to me right now is 756 SFO. If you’re there...consider it. Else, shy away. Experts and others who hate the NBs, flame away.
^^^THIS^^^

Not to mention you will almost never sit in the right seat of a real plane... meaning landings class and more scrutiny during probationary year. Take the 756 if no other aircraft available at your domicile of choice. You can always bid to 756 without a freeze... no reason to do it voluntarily for your first plane.