View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by diego5614 View Post
Im not sure if this is the right section to be asking this but I do need help regarding power off dirty/clean configurations.

I seem to hold the heading correctly yet my aircraft wants to roll left or right on the recovery. I also find that I normally need to mash the left rudder on recovery to keep the aircraft from spinning out of control.

I would really appreciate any feedback or tips. I need to perfect these for the upcoming pre-solo check ride! thanks guys
Problem I see is people chasing the ball all the time. They never "catch up". Yaw is what you are controlling. Pick a cloud or mountain in the distance and bring the nose up and use *enough* rudder to keep it (side of the glareshield) from yawing, never look at the ball. Just prior to the break, I've often found I need to back way off on the rudder to have the nose fall down straight.

I'd bet a nickle right before the break you start yawing in one direction. You can't hold constant rudder pressure, you have to adjust it based on what you see. The dynamics change as you get slower and then stall.

Practice climbing straight ahead and using enough right rudder to keep that mountain/cloud straight. Look at the wingtips and make sure they are the same distance above the horizon for bank, keep the side of the glareshield from sliding left (yaw). Don't use the ball for right rudder during a climb. Use it only to verify what you have already done is correct.

Most important, get the AOA down. Even if the wing drops, do not try to roll back, it's very tempting, but getting the AOA down you get the ailerons effective again and then on the way back up you can get back on heading, although I've found even when a wing drops, if you get the AOA back down immediately, your heading doesn't really change.