Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 PM
SonicFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
I’m gonna leave out the university programs because I think those are overpriced, especially since I already have a bachelors. I’m just having trouble deciding if I should go for a local flight school around me or one of those ones that really market themselves as commercial pilot ready programs. I saw a post on this forum that said flight schools around DC are only good for a private license.
It really depends on your situation..... if you can afford to buy a 172 or equivalent and hire an instructor to teach you, then do it. You can sell the plane back at the end and come out ahead financially.

You might be able to save money if you go to a local flight school instead, but it will very likely take a long time to get your ratings.

ATP flight school on the other hand is expensive but they are quick. The depth of knowledge you'll lean there isn't as good because you're rushing through it, but they can do all of your ratings in 6-8 months. The other advantage to ATP is that they do have financing available through Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo.

There is also of course always the military or ANG.

So it just depends on your life circumstance.