View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Twin Wasp View Post
I was going with the thread drift about airlines having their own medical exams.
Well, in this case AmericanAirlines has established their own medical REQUIREMENT, above and beyond that required (and arguably permitted) by law. Whether they actually do testing on their applicants or not, and whether they would actually defend the medical standard stated on their requirements page or not, I have no idea. They would appear to be in really tenuous legal grounds under the ADA were they to choose to do so. But just having the requirement posted must certainly deter many people who cannot meet that standard. The problem, of course, is for a candidate to be able to demonstrate that they were NOT selected BECAUSE they did not meet that standard, though I suppose a lawsuit (perhaps even a class action lawsuit) could be initiated by ATPs otherwise qualified claiming they were being discriminated against and opening the who,e selection process up to discovery. The simple threat of doing that alone might make American reconsider their policy of second-guessing the federal air surgeon on medical matters.