Thread: Commuting life?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Cyio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Poser765 View Post
Ok so here is the secret to commuting... you have to no care. You really have to just. Not. Care. You will miss rides home. You will have to come in a night early, and get home a day later. You will have extra stress getting to work. Just don’t give a crap.

The people I know who hate commuting the most... the ones most stressed out about it, are the people who do everything possible to get home an hour or two early. These are the guys that care too much. They’ll take a red eye on fedex, then grab an Uber to the terminal and RUN to catch a second leg jumpseat to get home at 1000 instead of the one leg Cronkite that gets them home at 1400.

Or they’ll take the latest flight they can they gives them 20 minutes to get off their commute and make it across the airport to check in at their gate on time.

That’s too much work and too much stress. You have to just roll with things.
While I dont do any of those things you mentioned in terms of the commute itself, I do stress about getting home. I have a wife, three kids, three dogs, friends and family I want to see, not to mention all of the other engagements I have to attend or take care of.

Commuting makes those harder and I do care about not wanting to travel on my days off work. Sure, I am fully aware I chose this way of life, so I am not blaming the airline or anything, just trying to advise others that it is a lot more work and stress to live outside of base.

We are changing it though by making a move to base. We are lucky as we both have family there so it is a pretty easy move for us. I should have listened to all the people telling me to move first, I could have saved a lot of time and stress.