View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Bigflya
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

It will most likely depending on how long it takes you to go through the FRS before going to your fleet squadron. Usually 12 month FRS, 3 year fleet tour (if your smart you extend for a Fitrep cycle, not leave early), 2.5 year shore tour (extend for a fitrep if you can and never roll from shore early no matter what the detailer promises). This is only 6.5 years but if you play the game and extend when you can and you have less than 12 months left on your committment and you are getting out they supposedly won't PCS you. Right now the ships are fully manned with disassociated guys for the most part. So instead, there are those dreaded Individual Augmentee (IA) billets to Iraq and Afghanistan going around right now. My college roommate, Tomcat pilot, is trying to xfer to the AF to fly U2's and he had about nine months left on his Navy committment so the detailer sent him to Centcom (Tampa) which ended up being Qatar. That is another crappy thing going on. The detailers are saying, "well if you want this billet then you have to take this 12 month IA billet to Icrapistan. Then I can send you to fly again, maybe." Sorry, not for me. If I could have a flying tour over there, no problem. I did not become a Navy pilot to fill a vacant Army billet.