View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Southerner
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by benzoate View Post
Sort of. The rhetoric on this board certainly does exceed its purpose but I still believe in the truth between the lines. My intentions are certainly not to insult you or anyone else but, rather, paint a very clear picture of what jetblue truly is. This cult like approach to running an airline is something potential candidates must be aware of. This is a company unlike any other, truly a marketing arm flying planes.

The very idea that we should celebrate the little victories(as gigity penned in her letter to the employees) strikes a cord. It suggests that we are unable to master the idea of a well run operation and therefore be pleased in the effort rather than the execution. This is the mentality driving the airline. Why would I invite or support someone with potential and options coming to jetblue?
I appreciate that you enjoy your job and the airline and please don’t take his commentary as suggesting anything else. This place is truly a cult in my eyes and history has repeatedly borne the end result.
My hope is that we are merged somewhere along the way so those who are here will not endure the furloughs many of us did in years past.
I understand this point of view. Some aspects of the different perspective are welcome, such as the intentional hiring of a specific personality type/avoidance of other specific types. I would not be happy at some of the more traditional airlines specifically because their cultures are more rigid/stuffy. JetBlue does a good job of hiring, in my opinion. If you want to be a double-breasted Richard-head, you probably should go to Delta, because won't be happy here. Honestly, some of the guys on this board who are so unhappy probably fit into that category. This company is a very specific flavor, and it's not for everyone.

That being said, there are things that have swung too far. The captain is absolutely PIC, and there is a hierarchy. Inflight, in particular, attempts to diminish this hierarchy. But even with that, I've never had a problem asserting authority when necessary. If you're respectful, and mindful of the other person's point of view, you'll rarely have a problem.

The guys that get angry about perceived lack of authority generally strike me as the egocentric types that want people to respect them simply because they have 4 stripes on their shoulders. Well, that isn't going to happen here. Accept it, or go to an airline that does act that way.

As far as the operation itself goes, that's a conversation best had over a beer.