View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 01:23 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by flybub View Post
I haven't flown since 2002 after my Commercial checkride. I thought the flying would be easy and the studies would be a bit tougher. Just the opposite.

Studying and getting my knowledge back was pretty easy, the flying has been a complete disaster. Holding altitude in steep turns, doing checklists in a timely fashion, getting back to entry point of lazy 8 at altitude and speed. I have flown 6 hours and my instructor said things are pretty bad (which they are).
Granted, I can only fly once a week, but I'm really starting to second guess my decision. If my VFR maneuvers are this bad, trying to shoot an approach would be an epic disaster. 38 yrs old, awesome wife who supports me and 3 kids.

If it is what you want though, it is certainly attainable with today's movement in the industry.
It would be easier if you had 1,000 hours. As a new CPL, you just didn't have enough experience to solidify the skills. If you were comfortable flying in 2002, it should come back eventually. Probably need to fly three times/week at least. More would be better.

Also.. if you're planning on working as a CFI, then you'll need the commercial maneuvers. If not, I'd skip those, just do stalls, steeps, and landings until you get comfortable, then on to IFR work.