Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Couple questions for those in training or through training. I interviewed Mar 29th and got the pool letter a week or so later.
How big is the pool? # people, etc
Is there an unofficial listing?
They only do 1 class per month?
Classes are about 12 people per class, right?
Seems like some get a class date pretty quick. I’ve been swimming for 2 months without any word, etc.
Is there anything someone can do to get through the pool a bit faster?
Thanks for the info.
Jimmy, congrats on the pool letter! Hope to see you on the property soon.

We don’t really have any answers to your questions because most of us here are regular line pilots. We typically learn about the latest and greatest from USAtoday or other news outlets.

The hiring pool is an enigma to most of us. How many people are in it is somewhat irrelevant because everything is based on one’s total score (interview, experience, sim, recommendations, etc), not when he or she ended up in the pool. We don’t know how they score applicants. It has never been explained to us.

To give you an idea, if there’s only one person in the pool and someone else interviews a day later and gets a higher score, that person will be called first. There was a poolie in my class (more than a decade ago) who ended up swimming for 3 years and had to re-interview at one point!
I am not trying to sound negative, just giving you the facts. You probably will get a call soon. Most people do. ..but maybe it’ll take a while.
Six months from now, if you’re still in the pool I’d go to a job fair to ask them in person. Hopefully you won’t have to.

Class sizes can be anywhere from 1 (yes, it has happened) to 30 or more.. Recently they have been in the 10-20 range. Sometimes we have a class every two months and sometimes several classes in one month.
As you can tell, there is no rhyme or reason to what we, the line slugs see out there. There’s probably a plan but they sure like to keep it to themselves.
Wish you the very best but in the meantime keep pursuing other airlines. You just never know.
Good luck.