View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Default Stuck in coach on long DHs

I was hoping to keep this thread a contract resource rather than just another APC thread - not that the posts here aren't valuable. Maybe I can steer it back with this.

I've run across a few folks that didn't know about these two new CBA 2015 provisions:
8.A.5.d - basically states that scheduled DH tickets that require a higher class of service are to be purchased before tickets in a lower class of service.

Anyone else still waiting for a "higher class of service" DH ticket for July to be purchased? Got my coach tickets for DHs that happen after my higher class DH..... still waiting on my Biz class ticket. So - big surprise - lack of contract compliance by the company.

The most obvious problem with this is - by the time they get around to buying the ticket all the BC tickets are sold out. This may not be a huge deal if it's a front or back-end DH and you're planning to deviate anyway (in fact, it can be a bonus - more on that later). If it's a mid-trip you really weren't planning on deviating on or you live in MEM, it might be a really big deal.
So, if you find they continue to drag their feet on buying those higher class of service tickets (sometime for weeks after the bid closes) - get an Insite report in, document the event and send it to ALPA contract enforcement!!

A potential solution to being stuck in coach brings us to the next CBA 2015 provision some have not discovered yet.

8.C.3.a.vi - applies to deadheads over 10 hours of block. If you're stuck in coach, you can deviate and have your travel bank credited with 130% of the Established fare. Hopefully allowing you to find the proper class of service on another flight.

Things to think about with this:
1. If you're going to deviate anyway, this can be a nice bump to your travel bank. HOWEVER, if you deviate as soon as you get the trip and don't wait until they actually buy your scheduled DH ticket, you'll never know you were going to be stuck in coach. So, please do yourself a favor and don't deviate until your scheduled ticket is bought. Buy your deviations tickets, make your deviation plans - just don't go into VIPS and actually deviate until you know that status of your scheduled ticket.

2. If this opportunity presents itself, once you know you're stuck in coach - Deviate ASAP. If the wait-listed BC seat comes through and you haven't deviated, the 130% of Established fare is no longer on the table.